About Me

Monday, November 21, 2011

Week 2 - Sampling, Statistics and SPSS. Oh my!

Like most of my time on this continent, my time in Nairobi is flying by and in 2 weeks time I will be back home in Canada frantically visiting everyone I possible can while preparing for my second journey to Ghana in February! 

Last week we finished week 2 of the M&E course at AMREF and the topics covered were a definite learning experience for me. The week started by discussing types of sampling such as probability and non probability sampling which I am familiar with. However, by mid week we were recapping some statistics formulas and learning about the computer software program for data analysis SPSS (Statistical Program for Social Sciences)...both of which I had little to know prior knowledge on! Using SPSS to input data and create tables and graphs is very straight forward but when it comes time to analyze what the tables and graphs tell you, that's a different story! Wow, I was very lost when the facilitator started talking about standard deviation, sampling variance and the list goes on! Thankfully enough, there are people in the class who have studied statistics and are willing to give me a very quick crash course. 

The week ended by doing some group work to create qualitative and quantitative evaluation tools for when we go to the field to conduct an actual evaluation of a current project. I think this will be the most useful part of the course as it gives us a chance to analyze a project logframe, create an evaluation tool, undertake the evaluation, analyze the data and even write a final report for the partner organization. 

My group members and I creating our qualitative evaluation tool
AMREF's partner NGO for AMREF training courses is the St. John's Child Development Project and the project is based in an informal settlement in Nairobi called Pumwani. St. John's lets AMREF students come to practice their skills in return for AMREF students helping to achieve the objectives of the organization. In our case we will be conducting a mid term evaluation of the St. Johns Child Development Project and producing a full report for them in order to provide an analysis of the successes and challenges of the project implementation. 

Relaxing after a hard day in class!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for this past weekend, it was very busy but very fun. I feel like I never have enough time on the weekend because there is so much to do and see in and around Nairobi that I forget to just relax. However, there will be ample time for relaxing (aka hibernating) when I return to the cold Toronto weather. This past Sunday was especially busy...I woke up around 7am took a bus to the Nairobi National Park with one of the girls from class. We met up with some fellow Canadians that I know from my post graduate program at Humber College and we went on a 4 hour safari. Although I had went on a safari the previous weekend in Lake Nakuru, the unique aspect of the Nairobi National Park is that is literally in Nairobi city so when you are driving around looking at all the animals you also have an amazing view of the Nairobi sky line. This picture doesn't do it justice but to give you an idea....


After a successful safari (categorized as "successful" [by me] after seeing giraffes, zebras, and lions) I went straight into the city center to wonder around the Maasai Market to buy some (more) Christmas gifts that I am hoping will fit in my luggage somehow! After shopping, my friend from class and I were invited for a home cooked Nigerian dinner. A hand full of the people from class are from Nigeria and a few of them invited us for dinner to taste their local food which was so good and flavourful compared to the bland food of Tanzania. It was very delicious... Please help me think of an authentic "Canadian" dish that I can return the favour with! I never know what to say when people ask "what is Canadian food." Really, what is it?!

Jill and I enjoying some Nigerian home cooking!
Stay tuned for next week's AMREF edition -- Updates from the field!

1 comment: