About Me

Friday, April 8, 2011

What I fear the most....!

Take a second guess, because your first one was probably wrong! What I fear the most here is something I take for granted at home. In Takoradi it was running water and here in Zanzibar it is electricity, or rather, lack there of!

During our first week here on the island we noticed that the power was going out at approximate the same time each night (9:30pm) for about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. After talking to people who live in our area and have been here for a while we came to the conclusion that this 1 hour power outage is routine and to be expected daily. This one a hour a day seemed tolerable and not all that frightening until last week when it went out routinely at 9:30pm but didn't come back on for nearly 30 hours! Ever since this night (which we no longer like to talk about) we have been living in fear of the routine power outage! Is it coming? is it not? More importantly, when it does happen, will it ever come back on?!?! I think what fears us the most is knowing that some few years ago the entire island lost electricity for about 3 months! 30 hours was long enough for me, I couldn't even image 3 months! I think we would have to pack our bags and work remotely from Dar es Salaam!

Sometimes the man who flips the switch likes to keep us on our toes for instance, last Sunday it didn't go out and we were waiting anxiously with our laptops fully charged! And, a few nights ago it went off earlier than usual (7pm) and we were afraid that it wouldn't come back on until the usual 10:30pm time! Fortunately, this was not the case and it did come back on exactly 1 hour later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I just think it's funny how every night we get worried over something trivial that I would not even think twice about in Toronto. I guess that's what you can expect when you live in a developing country, and to be more exact, live on a tropical island in a developing country!

Catching the sunset in Stone Town




Ocean view from our favourite Indian restaurant in town

The beautiful, old architecture in Stone Town

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lou:

    There goes my visit...could you just imagine your old Mom with no electricity in that heat...LOL!!!
    Keep up the posts, very interesting.
    Love you and miss you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete