About Me

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Don't forget the little guys

Since last week...

The new YCI volunteers arrived in Zanzibar last Thursday and we had a meet and greet in the office on the 16th. They will be working with ZANGOC Executive Committee and member organizations on the following topics: 
  • Environmental improvement campaign in the Chumbuni District
  • Health outreach around The International Day Against Drug Abuse - JUNE 26th
  • Youth career development program (involving youth from ZANGOC member organizations)
  • Small enterprise development workshops
  • Establishing a one-stop youth information and resource centre at the YCI office in Mwanakwerekwe
  • 10 workshops in Professional Communications for ZANGOC members
  • Establishment of a Gender Equality Team within ZANGOC
My role with the volunteers will be minimal but I did meet with them again yesterday to share my ideas on professional communications and youth development. Since I already have a good insight into what the member organizations do and what they want in terms of capacity building, I was happy to share my information to help make their workshops tailored to the actual needs of their participants. 

Another aspect I will be assisting with is in the establishment of the Gender Equality Team. I feel it is important for me to be involved in this team as I am currently writing ZANGOC's strategic plan and gender should be a cross cutting theme throughout all areas of intervention.

Currently, the Ministry of Social Welfare, Youth and Women’s Development is in the final stages of preparing a policy on mainstreaming gender issues in their programs.  In order to prepare for compliance with this policy, ZANGOC and its member organizations want to begin promoting awareness of gender issues within their organizations and in the communities with whom they work. The purpose of the gender equality team will be to strengthen the capacity of local partners to integrate gender equality into their programs including: promoting leadership amongst women and girls and promoting active participation amongst women, girls and youth in decision making processes and public governance. 

To follow the work of the current volunteers in Zanzibar check out the YCI blog

In other news...

I was informed via email last Friday that there would be a meeting at the ZAC office in regards to writing the concept paper for the USAID funded project in Zanzibar (remember my blog "USAID - From the American People"?). As a good Canadian I showed up on time...early in fact, only to find out that the meeting was canceled. I had a feeling this was going to happen based on the tone of Friday's email, however, with English being a second, and sometimes third language, it was hard for me to decipher the language used in the email! So, to play it safe I showed up anyways! Madame Nuru, the Executive Director of ZAC told me upon arrival that there was not enough support from all the identified partner NGOs, as only ZANGOC and ZAPHA+ replied to the email to confirm their attendance at the meeting. She informed me that I should go ahead and submit my ideas for the concept paper to Stephen at VSO (who would compile the concept paper) and wait to see if UMATI and WAMATA (2 NGOs operating at the national level) would also submit their concept paper ideas. 

Unfortunately, this morning I received an email back from Stephen at VSO saying that he has his reservations about this concept paper as UMATI and WAMATA still have yet to submit, therefore we are lacking the regional coverage, strength and partnerships necessary to proceed. Without these components we will be unable to apply for this funding opportunity, as full coverage of Tanzania is a criteria stipulated by USAID for this project. So, it is a shame that without strength in regional partnerships from larger NGOs, Zanzibar has lost this opportunity.  It's too bad that the larger, more established NGOs hold the decision making power and leave the little guys to continue chasing after donor dollars to even keep their organizations a float. With that being said, I am not turning to cynicism just yet :)

2 comments:

  1. Keep pushing Lisa. I am sure that if the right people realize the importance of this that they would ask for the funding in a more persistent manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Stephen from VSO said he will keep my notes for the next round of funding by USAID but that won't be for another year.

    ReplyDelete