About Me

Monday, July 11, 2011

Life's weird "Coincidences"?

Besides truly enjoying the work that I do, I think the thing I love most is forging new friendships on a work and personal level. With that being said, leaving these friendships behind is one of the toughest aspects of living and working overseas. In Zanzibar, I feel like I have just begun to establish a strong network of friends, both local and expat, and it is really sad when someone’s contract comes to an end and you have to say your goodbyes. Don’t get me wrong I miss my family in friends in Toronto but my return ticket home guarantees that I will soon see them all again. What is not guaranteed is being able to see all the wonderful people I’ve become close with and worked with on this beautiful continent.

However, life is full of weird coincidences...or do these “coincidences” happen for a reason? I am still trying to decide! So perhaps if I am meant to meet my overseas friends again in the future, there is a good reason behind the coincidence. From working in International Development and having the opportunity to travel a lot, I have come to realize that the world is not as big as we think it is! Here are some my life’s weird coincidences thus far:
  • In OAC I wanted to be an optometrist and then found out that I was terrible in advanced math so I changed all of my university applications to “Social Sciences.” Ottawa U asked me to specify and at the time I was taking a Global Issues course that I enjoyed so I chose International Development as my major. (it’s weird to think what my life would look like now if I was good at math!)
  • After my courses at Kenyatta University ended in May 2007, I went on a safari in Kenya and Tanzania and met a Canadian girl, whom I did not know before the trip. In 2009 I was serving at Fionn MacCool’s on The Esplanade in Toronto and ended up serving the girl I met half way across the world.
  • In June 2007, when I was getting ready to depart Zanzibar, I never would have thought that I would be back 4 years later, and in fact celebrating my birthday in the exact same spot in Nungwi, North Zanzibar.
  • In February of this year I was close to having the opportunity to go back to Ghana for work. However, I was instead offered my current job in Zanzibar where I have finally figured my future career path in Monitoring and Evaluation.
  • Last month I met up with a friend whom I studied with at University of Ottawa and traveled with to Nairobi in 2007 to finish our degrees at Kenyatta University. I had not seen this friend since we finished the program at KU 4 years ago, he is currently working in Arusha, Tanzania.
  • Last week I received 2 random emails which turned out to be 2 great finds!
1.       A Canadian girl working in Stone Town. She found me from an email list serve and asked if I would like to meet up. Of course I said yes, turns out she is from Toronto so we have bonded over missing Toronto’s amazing food and a love for red wine and dancing!    –Sorry Ali, I have only replaced you temporarily!
2.      A Canadian girl from University of Ottawa who was given my email address from an old professor. She just finished the KU program that I did 4 years ago and is now in Stone Town traveling. We met up to discuss possible volunteer opportunities for the week that she is in town, now she is renting our spare room and teaching English with New Vision Class.

The realization of my life’s coincidences is what prompted me to write this blog. I know there are others that I am forgetting, but for now these are the major ones. I suppose this will also be an ongoing list!

3 comments:

  1. As the song goes Lisa...."IT IS A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL". To think of how far you are away from home and meet up with people from the Toronto area. I guess you can say a small piece of home is coming to visit you. One positive note if you had become an optometrist..WE WOULD SEE MORE OF YOU...LOL!!! Keep up the great work and quit delaying that return home. See you in December.

    Love you lots xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's nice to have people to talk about "home" with!

    If I had become an optometrist I would be in WAY more debt than I currently am, so there is another positive note :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are messages that you are on the right path. I wish everyone would learn to see these coincidences.... very cool Lisa....which reminds me that you might like my book. It will be available very soon as a new release. check out my blog www.authortanderson.blogspot.com and find a link to my FB page. the book is all about these kind of coincidences in life. miss you!!! even though you chose not to pursue optometry, we all wish you well from the office. take care!

    ReplyDelete