About Me

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Whirlwind

First of all, I need to apologize to my millions of followers (!!), and myself for not keeping my blog updated! While in Takoradi my memory stick, USB and computer were all infected with a virus so I was unable to upload my pictures, and really...how fun is a blog without pictures!!

So in attempt to keep this blog functioning I will update you on my life in the past 24 hours, it's been pretty crazy! ... actually, first I need to back up a few weeks 

I returned home from Ghana on January 21st and was overwhelmed by the freezing cold weather. It was literally a 50 degree difference! After this shock I literally hibernated in my parents basement for most of the month of February! So here the fun story goes...in mid February I had an interview for a Gender Advisor position with YCI, the position was back in Ghana and I wanted it sooo badly! My chances were pretty good as I was 1 of 3 people shortlisted from 55 applicants, the only thing against my chances would be if one of the other 2 people had more gender programming experience. Unfortunately, this was the case and I kinda fell into a funk after the rejection as I was really hoping for a chance to go back to Ghana and continue my working relationship with the YMCA.

Then yesterday at 7:30pm, my life changed drastically! I received a call from Lauren who works for YCI and who I've been working with since October and who also interviewed me for the Ghana position. She informed me that someone had backed out of a position and immediately my thoughts went to Ghana. But this person backed out of the Governance Officer position in Zanzibar, Tanzania...another position that I had applied for. I felt that she literally was offering me the job over the phone so I freaked out a little and called my brother for advice who talked some much needed sense into me!

Lauren told me over the phone that she would like to speak with me about the position in more detail tomorrow (today). So I went to the YCI office this morning and she told me about the position, answered my page full of questions and then she offered me the position. I didn't accept it right at first because a) I didn't want to seem TOO eager and b) I really did have to think about it, however by the time I walked home I knew that I had to take the offer. The only stipulation that I had to think about was the departure date. Since the person backed out, arrangements for orientation and the placement start date had already been made...so it looks like I will be flying off again on the 20th of March....Yes, you did read that right, for 7 months!!

So that has been the whirlwind that is my life over the past 24 hours! Now, I have to start making travel arrangement, doctors appointments, packing (after having just unpacked in Toronto!), saying goodbye to people, yet again, and  a 5 day training in Toronto which starts on the 14th!

As I said earlier, no blog is complete without pictures so here are some pics of my last trip to Tanzania and Zanzibar and what I have to look forward to for the next 7 months of my life!

Sunrise in Dar

Top of Kili


Simba and Nala in Ngorongoro Crater

No comments:

Post a Comment