About Me

Monday, November 29, 2010

Umbrella Rock & Boti Falls

This past Saturday we went on a team building excursion with the Mentors to Boti Falls. The day started with the Keep Fit Club at the YMCA at 6am then we mobilized are troops and set off to the falls around 10am. The day consisted of a roughly 45 minute hike up to the umbrella rock which literally is a rock in the shape of an umbrella. The hike to the rock was a little challenging in certain spots as there was some hand over hand climbing involved but all in all it was a nice trek. The top of the umbrella rock is flat and they've build ladders so that you can climb to the top for optimal viewing/picture taking! With a little hesitation on climbing this wooden ladder, eventually we all concurred our fears and wrote our names on top of the rock.



Me on top of the Umbrella Rock




After this break we continued on to see a three pronged coconut tree, nothing to exciting here except for the fact that when I suggested we take a group photo here I ended up standing on a rock that apparently if you stand on it it means you will have twins. When Solomon told me this I immediately gasped and jumped right off that rock, needless to say I didn't stand on it again!

We trekked back to the beginning of the trail and descended the 250 stairs that take you to Boti Falls.


 
 
 






Boti Falls is a 30m high waterfall within the Boti Forest Reserve about 30 minutes east of Koforidua. A small hike down some stone steps takes you to the waterfall with a pool at the base, which is safe for swimming. Guided walks of the forest and some caves can be arranged.

Boti falls is actually made up of two waterfalls. According to the local people the big one is the male and the smaller one, a female. When the two merge, it is said that they are mating.

The merging forms a rainbow. Within the vicinity of the falls are summer huts and other visitor facilities.

Our timing couldn't have been any more perfect. As we reached the entrance coming back from Umbrella Rock a big huge crowd of people were just on there way up and running into them on the steap climb would have made the trek a lot harder. Also on the way back up from the 250 stairs/Boti Falls it started pouring rain! Thankfully at this time we were under shelter and just waiting for out tro tro to pick us up. 

5 comments:

  1. I have been to Ghana a few times...next time my husband and I go I will make sure to visit the Falls! Just amazing...I love Ghana

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was there and it was hectic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Ghanaian , but my first time of going there is in July , 2012. i really like the place , a trek to the umbrella rock gave me a lot of lessons in life , i love to visit the place again if i should have the chance. GOD IS WONDERFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been to Ghana a few times next time my husband and I go I will make sure to visit the Falls! Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete