About Me

Thursday, March 29, 2012

For the love of salsa

Shake your skeleton, shake what your mama gave ya. Whatever you want to call it, I love to dance!

Since arriving in Accra, I have been learning and improving upon my Azonto dance moves. The Azonto is the latest dance craze in Ghana and I have been hitting the streets and local bars to learn the hottest moves. I especially love Azonto dancing because the accompanying music is utterly amazing. Where ever you happen to be in Accra, you will hear the same songs on constant replay, yet somehow, they never grow old!

As much as I love improving my Azonto dance moves, I will forever be a sucker to salsa dancing and Latin music and it makes me so happy that I can find a salsa community anywhere I travel to. I'm not sure how or even when my love of salsa dancing started but I appreciate that I can continue learning the moves in Accra. Every Wednesday night I have a free lesson at Coconut Grove Regency Hotel which is followed by 2 hours of dancing where you get whisked around the pool side dance floor by Ghanaian men who know their salsa moves. As long as you remember your basic salsa steps (1-2-3, 5-6-7) and find yourself with a partner who knows what he is doing, two hours can seem like 10 minutes!

Salsa at Coconut Grove has become very popular and it's now known as a place for the some of the best salsa dancers in Accra to showcase their moves. If you find yourself slightly intimidated by the stellar moves of Ghanaian salsa dancers, you can always pull up a chair next to the pool side and watch as partners twirl each other around, secretly wishing you had the same talent, or even half of it!

7 comments:

  1. Salsa greetings from Los Angeles, CA. I'm going to link this to my website's page on fAcebook, ok? http://www.facebook.com/VidaSalsera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, link away! Thanks for reading and sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will there be salsa this wednesday?? what time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every Wednesday! The lesson starts at 7pm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lisa, after coconut grove there is another place called afrikiko and inside the restaurant TAM TAM there is also salsa there, you can also find some lessons and dancing at aviation social club on friday evenings at around 8pm in addition there is a place called T-Havana but is in Tema they also due salsa on Thursday and saturdays and from what I hear there is a place in Osu called Cave where they have salsa on saturday evening but late around 10 or so I think.
    I addition the salsa congress is happening on the 6th of June and they have a whole lot of workshops lined up and I think is around $90 dollars for the whole thing but you can choose also, here is the link in case you are interested
    http://www.accrasalsacongress.com/accra-ghana.html
    I am also learning to love Azonto and Ghana for that matter moved here from Australia 6 months ago. Any how may be you should also check out my blog and follow it, I have only just started so there isnt much content yet but you have any questions you can find me there.
    www.vsichalwe.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, congratulations for that! Learning salsa wasn't that easy for me, too... but with great dance instructors and lessons, everything went quite well. I think so, hehe. Good luck and I hope you find more dancing communities out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people say that it is hard to learn salsa because of its fast-paced moves, but it is actually the other way around. Salsa is one of the easiest dances to learn, and it’s actually very versatile, so you can dance to almost any kind of music. The key to dancing salsa is staying keen to the beat of the music. As long as you understand what beat you should be following, you will find it easy to remember and execute the moves.

    ReplyDelete