About Me

Friday, March 16, 2012

It seemed inevitable

I knew it had to happen sooner or later. After all of my time on this continent and all of my long bus rides, I have been rather fortunate in the fact that a) I have not been in a bus accident and b) the bus has never broken down.

I finally experienced the latter yesterday.

I was travelling from Accra to Takoradi for work and I arrived at Carnation station in Accra to catch a bus in the afternoon. I think the entire day stated off on the wrong foot as it was unbelievably hot, I had to meet up with colleagues among the masses of people not to mention ward off those who were trying to entice me to buy their goods or take their bus to Takoradi.

Finally, we all meet up and it was decided that we would take a nice looking, bigger bus, as that seemed "more safe" as one of my colleagues said. I have learned that better looking things do necessarily mean better quality as I have taken some pretty beat up buses with no issues. I should have fought for my instinct.

About an hour outside of Accra the nice, air conditioned bus that we were on made a weird noise. The driver acknowledged the noise but proceeded driving. About 30 minutes after that we were pulled over on the side of the road. Most of the men got off the bus in attempt to find out and fix whatever the issue was. About 30 minutes after that we were on the road again...driving about 30km/h! As I watched cars and buses whiz past us, my only thought was that at this pace a 4 hour trip will take all night.

Finally the driver pulled over and we all disembarked from the bus. At this point it was about 6pm, the sun was fading and I wasn't sure how long we would all be standing on the side of the road fighting to get a seat in one of the buses passing by. Fortunately, we didn't have to wait too long when an empty bus pulled up. As usual, there were some elbows thrown in attempt to get on the bus but I sucked up my Canadian politeness and pushed my way on!

Thankfully, we made it to Takoradi. I will be co-facilitating a 2 day workshop here Friday and Saturday then heading to a near by beach for some relaxation.

Take the good with the bad!

2 comments:

  1. All this, and discontent too! Otherwise, why am I sitting here dreaming of England? Why am I gazing at this campfire like a lost should seeking a hope when all that I love is at my wingtips? Because I am curious. Because I am incorrigibly, now, a wanderer.
    Cheap Flights to Accra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Fri Chip S1288Poker (Jumat Agung)

    Bonus Tanpa Deposit kali ini memiliki syarat & ketentuan yang menarik. Dimana setiap hari Jumat pada bulan April, Kamu akan mendapatkan Bonus Sebesar Rp 20.000,- Setelah Share/ Repost dari akun instagram dan fanspage official S1288Poker & S128cash.

    - Share Postingan Fanspage @s128cash.biz
    (Minimal 250 Teman)
    - Share Postingan Instagram @s128cash
    (Minimal 250 Followers)

    Syarat & Ketentuan :

    • Setiap Hari Jumat Di Bulan April 2020
    • Member Lama & Member Baru
    • Freechip Rp 20.000,- / User ID
    • Media Sosial Bersangkutan Harus Status "PUBLIC"
    • Minimal Withdraw Rp 50.000,-
    • Untuk 50 Member Tercepat Claim
    • Waktu Claim Akan Dimulai Saat Pergantian Tanggal, 00.01 Wib ( Waktu Indonesia Barat)
    • Jika Terjadi Kecurangan, Maka Admin Berhak Untuk Tindak Tegas
    • Keputusan Admin S1288POKER Bersifat Mutlak

    NB : Jika Syarat Belum Terpenuhi, Maka Bonus Tidak Akan Berhasil Di Klaim & Kepada Seluruh Pemain Harap Mengantri Dengan Tertib Serta Sabar Menunggu Agar Proses Pembagian Bonus Lancar. Terima Kasih.....

    (Claim Freechip Disini...)

    ReplyDelete